Family Law & Divorce Questions and Answers
From Our Blog
- In California, what is the difference between legal custody and physical custody?
- How can we divide our personal things without going crazy?
Video Divorce FAQ's
(Georgine Brave, Shawn Weber and Julie Mack answered the following questions for California Divorce Magazine. The questions and answers are featured here with the full permission of Divorce Magazine .)
- "My business is worth more than $20 million. Is my spouse entitled to a share of it?"
- "I'm just starting my divorce. Can you give me your best tips?"
- "What are some of the advantages of choosing Collaborative Divorce?"
- "My friends have warned me that mediation doesn't work well with men. Is this true?"
- "How do I ask my spouse for a divorce?"
- "My husband and I have considerable assets. How can I be sure I'll get my fair share?"
- How is child custody decided?
- How can I fire my lawyer? Under what conditions?
- After our divorce becomes final, am I entitled to any of my ex-spouse's Social Security, retirement, or disability benefits?
Real Estate and Relationships
- If I own the property before we get married does she still get it if we break up?
- Does it matter that we got married in another state but bought property here?
- What happens to the property if we are married here but move to a different state and leave this one a rental?
- How long do we have to be married before the spouse is entitled to half my stuff?
- We're legally married but haven't even seen each other in 4-5 years and I want to buy with someone else.
- If I own this house with my parents and we get married is he entitled to part of my half?
- If I bought a house a week or two before we were legally divorced does she still get half?